Saturday, May 15, 2021

DON’T FEAR THE FUTURE

 DON’T FEAR THE FUTURE

 INTRO People Magazine records that on March 20, 1990, Cuban-American singer Gloria Estefan was at the height of her career when a semi-truck crashed into her tour bus on a snowy Pennsylvania highway, breaking her back. Months of painful rehab followed. When she returned to performing, her first song was her hit, Coming Out of the Dark

We are now in the process of coming out of a time of darkness and coming into the light of an uncertain future. How do we approach it? How do we prepare for it?

 Today, I want to encourage you with some “Fear Not” statements from the Word of God. This list is found in the Thompson Chain Reference Study Bible.

 First of all, let me talk about why many have become discouraged in the past 14 months. What are some of the causes of discouragement?

1.    The Hardness of the Way

Numbers 21:4 (NKJV) Then they journeyed from Mount Hor by the Way of the Red Sea, to go around the land of Edom; and the soul of the people became very discouraged on the way.

2.    The Difficulty of the Task

Nehemiah 4:10 (NKJV) Then Judah said, “The strength of the laborers is failing, and there is so much rubbish that we are not able to build the wall.”

3.    The Prosperity of the Wicked

Psalms 73:2-3 (NKJV) But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled; My steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the boastful, When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4.    Delay in Fulfilling Desires

Proverbs 13:12 (NKJV) Hope deferred makes the heart sick. But when the desire comes, it is a tree of life.

Now let’s look at some reasons the Bible gives us to be encouraged.

1.    Blessings in the Journey

Genesis 26:24 (NKJV) And the LORD appeared to him the same night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham; do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you and multiply your descendants for My servant Abraham’s sake.

Numbers 21:34 (NKJV) Then the LORD said to Moses, “Do not fear him, for I have delivered him into your hand, with all his people and his land; and you shall do to him as you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who dwelt at Heshbon.”

Judges 6:23 (NKJV) Then the LORD said to him, “Peace be with you; do not fear, you shall not die.”

2.    Supplies in Famine

1 Kings 17:13–14 (NKJV) And Elijah said to her, “Do not fear; go and do as you have said, but make me a small cake from it first, and bring it to me; and afterward make some for yourself and your son. 14 For thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘The bin of flour shall not be used up, nor shall the jar of oil run dry, until the day the Lord sends rain on the earth.’ 

3.    Protection in Peril

2 Kings 6:15–17 (NKJV) And when the servant of the man of God arose early and went out, there was an army, surrounding the city with horses and chariots. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?” 16 So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” 17 And Elisha prayed, and said, “Lord, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

4.    Strength in Weakness

Isaiah 41:10 (NKJV): Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

5.    Companionship in Trial

Isaiah 43:1–3 (NKJV) But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you. 3 For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;

6.    Overshadowing Care

Matthew 10:30–31 (NKJV) But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

7.    Life Beyond the Grave

Revelation 1:17–18 (NKJV) And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. 18 I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.

INSPIRATION One of my favorite Bible heroes is Joshua. He was born into slavery; it was all he had known. He followed Moses into freedom and became his second in command. He endured forty years in the wilderness and when Moses died, he was now in charge of leading the Hebrew nation into a land they had never seen. Listen to how God spoke to him as he embraced an uncertain future. 

Joshua 1:9 (NKJV) Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Look at the keys here:

I have told you what to do. 

Be strong and courageous. 

Don’t be afraid. 

I am with you. 

APPLICATION These are the words we need to hear as we face the future. 

Find His will.

Go after His will

Trust His will. 

He will be with you.

ILLUSTRATION

1 comment: