Saturday, May 1, 2021

A LIFE OF RECEIVING

 A LIFE OF RECEIVING

INTRO Over the last month we have been looking at the life of Isaac and drawing parallels to God’s promises for this year. We have seen his miraculous conception, his willing sacrifice, and his digging wells of salvation for his needs. 

We are all Isaacs…

Galatians 4:28 (NKJV) Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.

Today, we want to look at how Isaac lived. He lived a receiving life. He did not try to achieve anything; he received everything. We will see that this is how God intends for all of us to live. My challenge to us today is to live a life of receiving from God.

PRAYER

Genesis 26:1–5 (NKJV) There was a famine in the land, besides the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went to Abimelech, king of the Philistines, in Gerar. 2 Then the Lord appeared to him and said: “Do not go down to Egypt; live in the land of which I shall tell you. 3 Dwell in this land, and I will be with you and bless you; for to you and your descendants I give all these lands, and I will perform the oath which I swore to Abraham your father. 4 And I will make your descendants multiply as the stars of heaven; I will give to your descendants all these lands; and in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; 5 because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws.”

Genesis 26:23–25 (NKJV) Then he went up from there to Beersheba. 24 And the Lord appeared to him the same night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham; do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you and multiply your descendants for My servant Abraham’s sake.” 25 So he built an altar there and called on the name of the Lord, and he pitched his tent there; and there Isaac’s servants dug a well.

Genesis 25:5 (NKJV) And Abraham gave all that he had to Isaac.

The Chinese pastor, Watchman Nee, in his book Changed Into His Likeness, observes that:

“Isaac did not have to labour, to toil, to spend time in order to get it. All was bestowed upon him. Abraham attained, through long trials; Isaac inherited in a single outright gift. Of all that he received, nothing was his own work. 

He did not even have to travel to reach Canaan as his father did; he was born there. He lived in Canaan his entire life. He was born, lived, and died in the Promised Land!

When we look at his relationship with God, we find the same thing. The promise to Isaac is exactly the same promise as is given to Abraham, and contains the words 'I will establish the oath which I swear unto Abraham thy father'. There was nothing new in it that was not promised to Abraham already. And its fulfillment was stated to be 'because Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes and my laws'. 

Again when the Lord appears to Isaac at Beersheba, He speaks of Himself as 'the God of Abraham, thy father' and assures him that 'I am with thee, and will bless thee, and multiply thy seed for my servant Abraham's sake.’ All was bestowed upon Isaac because he was Abraham's son.

This fact of bestowal and acceptance is the great characteristic of Isaac. The God of Isaac is God the Giver. He is the God who comes out to us. We must know Him in this way as well as knowing Him as Father. If we only know Him as the God of Abraham there is no approach to Him. As the God of Isaac He comes to us and gives us everything in His Son. None can go forward and attain to God's purpose unless he knows how to receive in this way. 

The secret is receiving, not doing. Victory, life, salvation, all is bestowed, not attained. When you are born into a wealthy home, it is very difficult to be poor! You are rich; you were born that way.” 

Years ago the Lord asked me a question, “What did you have to do to become a sinner?”  I answered, “Nothing, I was born that way.” He then asked, “What do you have to do to become righteous?” It hit me. I replied, “Nothing, I was born again that way!”

Watchman Née goes on:

We never worked for our salvation, gradually scaling the heights until we attained to it. The Lord sought and saved us.

Victory over sin is the same; it is received, not worked for. Oh, may we learn to praise God that He has provided for us such bounty in Christ! 

What God has done, we receive and enjoy. We are not constantly waiting, anxiously seeking for it. We are born into the home; we have it all. Inheritance is ours! 

What have we already received from the Father?

1.    A birthright. 

John 1:11-12 (NKJV) He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right (power, privilege, authority) to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:

2.    Fullness of life. 

John 1:16 (NKJV) And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.

Everything Jesus has is ours!

Colossians 2:9-10 (NKJV) For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

3.    The Spirit of God. 

John 20:22 (NKJV) And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.

4.    Grace and apostolic power. 

Romans 1:5 (NKJV) Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name,

5.    An anointing. 

1 John 2:27 (NKJV) But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

6.    A ministry

Matthew 10:7-8 (NKJV) And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.

APPLICATION Now how does this work out in real life? 

ILLUSTRATION Let me begin this morning by sharing an old story you may have heard… a man booked passage on a transatlantic steamer… ate sparingly of food he had brought… he wanted to eat in the dining room… he didn’t know everything he desired was included with his ticket! 

MINISTRY TIME

No comments:

Post a Comment