Friday, June 12, 2020

CASTING YOUR CARES

CASTING YOUR CARES.

 

My heart has been torn up in recent days. Whenever I am in conflict or pain or anger, I am driven to the Psalms. I move away from Twitter, Facebook, and media and let the Word of God do what it says it will do.

 

2 Timothy 3:16 (NKJV) All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

The Word shows me the right path, tells me when I get off the path, tells me how to get back on the path, and tells me how to stay on the path.

 

Hebrews 4:12-13 (NKJV) For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

 

The Word separates my emotions from my spirit so I can hear God. I was in a meeting this week with area pastors and the African American pastors all stressed that we need to hear what God is saying before we listen to what the world is saying!

 

So, I settled in the Psalms this week and let them comfort my soul. I read Psalm 73.

 

Psalm 73:2-28 (NKJV) A Psalm of Asaph. 1 Truly God is good to Israel, To such as are pure in heart.

 

2 But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled; My steps had nearly slipped. 3 For I was envious of the boastful, When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4 For there are no pangs in their death, But their strength is firm.

 

5 They are not in trouble as other men, Nor are they plagued like other men.

6 Therefore pride serves as their necklace; Violence covers them like a garment. 7 Their eyes bulged with abundance; They have more than heart could wish. 8 They scoff and speak wickedly concerning oppression; They speak loftily. 9 They set their mouth against the heavens, And their tongue walks through the earth.

 

10 Therefore his people return here, And waters of a full cup are drained by them.

11 And they say, "How does God know? And is there knowledge in the Most High?" 12 Behold, these are the ungodly, Who are always at ease; They increase in riches. 13 Surely I have cleansed my heart in vain, And washed my hands in innocence. 14 For all day long I have been plagued, And chastened every morning.

 

15 If I had said, "I will speak thus," Behold, I would have been untrue to the generation of Your children. 16 When I thought how to understand this, It was too painful for me-- 17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; Then I understood their end.

 

There is something about getting into God’s presence that brings understanding and release.

 

Don’t you feel better already? Take the time to read the rest of this Psalm later in the day.

 

It’s good to be washed by the Word and filter out all the emotions in your soul that make you angry and troubles your sleep. Our hope is not in the things men will do but in God Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth. Men will always disappoint us but God never disappoints. Men will fail is but ours is a God who cannot fail.

 

After my heart was at rest, I could hear God’s voice speaking. Here are some things He spoke to me. I’m not saying these are for you also, but maybe they can bring some comfort and guidance to you also.

 

1.    Don’t focus on what is happening in the temporary, but on what is happening in the eternal.

 

2 Corinthians 4:18 (NKJV) while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

 

Colossians 3:1-4 (NKJV) If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

 

Matthew 6:19-21 (NKJV) Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

 

Karl Marx wrote that “religion is the opium of the people.” Religion allows people to endure unbelievable suffering because of their hope in heaven, a place where all suffering will end. Marxists tried to do away with religion on the premise that if all people had was the nasty now and now, and no hope of a sweet by and by, they would revolt and overthrow the rich and powerful.

 

The devil is still doing that today. He gets us to focus on this present world that only exists for a few years. God says to focus on eternity that never ends. It all come down to where your heart is. What drives you? Today or eternity? Hope in an eternity in heaven gives us courage to persevere in the face of all injustice.

 

Romans 8:18 (NKJV) For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

 

1 Corinthians 2:9 (NKJV) But as it is written: “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

 

Life is not about here. We are in training for reigning. These years here below are but a preparatory school for heaven!

 

Then I meandered over to Psalm 37. I’m not gonna read it all; you can do that on your own.

 

1 Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity. 2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.

 

2.    I’ve got this.

 

This is where Psalm 37 nailed me: Do not fret”. I’ve been fretting a lot lately. Fretting about the virus. Fretting about my family. Fretting about my black son in law and my black grand children. Will they end up like others we have heard about? They are driving now. Oldest going off to college. Is someone going to mistreat them?

 

God asked, “Why are you worried? I’ve got this. Don’t you trust me?” Wow, a hammer to the heart.

 

John 10:28-30 (NKJV) And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one.

 

For somebody to touch my grand babies, they have to get through God’s hands and Jesus’ hands. They are in good hands with Almighty God! Why should I worry or fret?

 

Craig Groeschel wrote in his book, The Christian Atheist, that we say we believe in God, yet still worry like He doesn’t exist. Guilty? I am! Folks, if God can’t take care of them, we can’t take care of them. We can’t even take care of our selves! The Psalmist said to trust God. Let’s do that.

 

3.    We are right on time.

 

Things that are happening are part of the prophetic calendar that heralds the return of Christ. If you have not heard, Jesus is coming again! Listen to this prophecy spoken at the Ascension of Jesus into heaven after His Resurrection.

 

Acts 1:9-11 (NKJV) Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”

 

Jesus had given some hints, some signs, about what would happen on the way to His return.

 

Matthew 24:3-12 (NKJV) Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?” And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.”

 

Lawlessness will increase exponentially before Jesus comes. The the lawless one, the antichrist, the man of sin will be revealed.

 

2 Thessalonians 2:7-8 (NKJV) For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.

 

Lawlessness is the word antinomianism. Now that’s a big word, but it has a simple meaning: no law. Before Jesus comes there will be more unrest and more people who will want to live without law. We have seen this as cries have gone out for the abolishment and defunding of certain law enforcement entities. Right now, portions of a large American city have been taken over and declared to be an independent country.

 

Don’t worry it; don’t be upset about it. Jesus said it was coming. And it will only get worse. The good news is that it is a sign of the soon return of Jesus Christ.

 

So, what do I do with these God has spoken to me? Let look at Psalm 37 again for some suggestions.

 

3 Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.

 

Trust in God and do good things. We don’t just forget about what’s going on. We work to correct inequities but trust the Lord to make it change.

 

5 Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. 6 He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.

 

Commit your life to God and work openly for justice. Micah 6:8 – Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly…

 

7 Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.

 

Rest in the Lord. This is the hardest! We do all we can do but rest that God is working where we can’t see. We can’t start worrying when it seems things are going the wrong way.

 

8 Cease from anger and forsake wrath; do not fret—it only causes harm.

 

Don’t get angry; don’t retaliate. This only causes harm.

 

Ephesians 4:26 (NKJV) Be angry, and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your wrath,

 

MINISTRY I want to pray for you this morning. I sense many have heavy burdens this morning, weighed down with cares and worries. Let me encourage you with these words.

 

1 Peter 5:7 (NKJV) Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment