Sunday, November 25, 2018

KEEP THE JOY GOING


KEEP THE JOY GOING
INTRO The greatest struggle is often to keep the victory going… keep the winning streak going…
It is usually about the fundamentals… Football: blocking and tackling… Baseball: run, hit, throw… Music: the best compositions and arrangements are ineffective if the instruments and voices are out of tune…
What are some fundamentals that can keep the joy suckers at bay and allow us to share our joy with others? Let me talk about five basics. These are not earth shattering, but effective.
TEXT Hebrews 2:1 (NKJV) Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.

1. Reading the Bible
Jeremiah 15:16 (NKJV) Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.
Reminds us of God’s love and care for us… we learn of His precious promises and can stand on them… We learn how to fight the good fight of faith…
Types of reading: devotional, planned, topical, crisis…
2. Praying
John 16:24 (NKJV) Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
Answered prayer is a real joy giver… particularly when we pray for others who are in our same circumstances…
3. Worshiping
Psalms 27:6 (NKJV) And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me; Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.
Worship, personal and corporate worship, lets us see God’s power and person… transcendent yet immanent…
4. Going to church
Psalms 42:4 (NKJV) When I remember these things, I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go with the multitude; I went with them to the house of God, With the voice of joy and praise, With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.
We are not alone in our struggle… let us not forsake the assembling of ourselves together… isolation is the tool of the enemy…
Elijah felt alone… John the Baptist felt alone… Paul felt alone… Jesus felt alone…
I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the house of the Lord…
5. Serving
Matthew 25:21 (NKJV) His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.
Living for others is key… give and it shall be given to you… when I focus on me, myself, and I it brings discontent… when I focus on others discontent disappears… when I walk in the Spirit I am aware of others; when I am focused on how I am being affected, I know I am walking in the flesh…
Look not on your own things, but on the things of others…
ACTION STEPS
  1. Daily quiet time
  2. Private worship
  3. Don’t miss church
  4. Seek to serve


No comments:

Post a Comment