Saturday, March 28, 2020

SPENDING THE NIGHT

MESSAGE “Spending the Night” Gary
ME When this crisis began to break out, I struggled with how to respond. Part of me wanted to just disregard it, trusting that God would protect me. Part of me thought it couldn’t be that bad. Part of me became increasingly concerned by conversations we were hearing on both sides of the event. We all have questions. Today, I want to try to give a Biblical response to some questions that hopefully will serve us in this episode of our lives and in the challenges that we may face in the future.
WE What are we, as Bible believers and Jesus followers, to do? How do we walk in faith while obeying the recommendations, then the instructions, and finally the mandates that come to us?
GOD Some Bible passages come to mind almost immediately.
Matthew 10:16 (NKJV) Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore, be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.
Paul encourages us in almost the same way…
Romans 16:19 (NKJV) For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore, I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple (or innocent) concerning evil.
Here is truth #1:
God wants us to walk in wisdom and humility.
Sometimes we believe that we can do anything we want and God will always protect us. I hate to tell you this, but God doesn’t work that way. There is no guarantee that He will take care of us if we act in an unsafe or selfish manner.
Illustration: Now this is an extreme example, but if I say God will protect me and then go for a leisurely stroll in the middle of the freeway, I may get to thank God in person! God often acts out of mercy, but there is no guarantee.
However, if I live in wisdom and humility, following His will, thinking about Him and others, His promises become mine. Go back to the illustration I used earlier. If I run into the freeway to rescue an accident victim, I believe God would watch over me. Why? I am not doing it selfishly. Paul tells us:
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Philippians 2:3 (NLT))
Another passage many have been claiming during this time is Psalm 91, and rightfully so! Listen to these verses.
Psalms 91:3 Surely, He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence.
V.5–6 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day, nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.
V.10 No evil shall befall you, nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
V.16 With long life I will satisfy him and show him My salvation.
I believe we can pray these verses over our family, over our church, over our city, state, nation, and world and God’s mercy is there for us. But there is something even better, God has given us a fool proof way to appropriate these promises,
Many promises in the Bible are what we call conditional promises. God says, “When you do this, I will do this.” Psalm 91 is one long conditional promise. It describes the blessings of people who live in fellowship with God. Look at verse 1.
Psalms 91:1 (NKJV) He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
Can you see that the promises of this psalm all flow out of an intimate relationship with God?
“Dwell” means ’to remain in’. I come into God’s presence and just live there. I settle in and feel at home.
“Abide” literally means “to spend the night”. I remember growing up I loved spending the night at my friend’s houses. Slumber parties were the best. We would all gather round and tell stories and secrets. We might get into a little mischief too, but that’s another story for another time!
When I spend the night with God in His house, He tells me all His secrets.
Psalms 25:14 (NKJV) The secret of the LORD is with those who fear Him, and He will show them His covenant.
 When I would be at someone’s house, they would feed me, care for me, protect me. I could rest easy because I knew someone was watching over me.
The ultimate expression of “spending the night” is another connotation of this word: marriage. When Alba and I got married and began to spend the night together, we shared secrets that no one else knew. We cared for each other and protected each other.
Well, maybe not all the time. Years ago, I remember a skunk in our campground at a youth retreat in Mayhill, New Mexico…
When I am married to Jesus, I seek His will in all things and He covers me, feeds me, and protects me.
This brings us to truth #2:
The promises of God serve the purposes of God.
Psalms 91:14 (NKJV) Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name.
Jesus said…
John 15:7 (NKJV) If you abide in Me, and My (rhema) words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
Paul declares…
2 Corinthians 1:20 (NKJV) For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.
You see a pattern: because, if, in. If we fulfill the condition, we reap the benefit! And it’s all to the Glory of God through us.
YOU God wants to bless you. He’s made all His promises available to you. The way to make this happen is to dwell and abide in Christ. What does that mean?
1.    You are born again in Jesus. Plan of salvation.
2.    You are growing in Jesus.
3.    You are listening to Jesus.
4.    You are obeying Jesus.
WE So, what are some practical ways we can all apply this? When you want to do something, ask yourself some questions.
1.     Is it wise for me to do this? Does this expose me to undue risk? Is this harmful to others? Does this expose others to undue risk?
2.     Does this activity fulfill the purposes of God? Or am I claiming God’s promises for my purposes? Will this bring glory to God?
One final word: We should support the instructions of the government and health professional because they know, we don’t. It affects our testimony.
1 Timothy 4:12 (NKJV) … be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
One last word. Paul says:
2 Corinthians 13:11 (NLT) Dear brothers and sisters, I close my letter with these last words: Be joyful. Grow to maturity. Encourage each other. Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you.
PRAYER

No comments:

Post a Comment