Saturday, March 21, 2020

WHO ARE YOU LISTENING TO?

MESSAGE “Who Are You Listening To?”
To watch this sermon online go to www.restorationep.org.
ME Is anyone getting cabin fever yet? I hope that you have not run out of some of the essentials at your house. I have never seen anything like this in my lifetime and I’m sure many of you have not either. My mom talked of rationing during wartime and Alba remembers rationing in Cuba, but most of us have never known rationing. We may have known lack due to other reasons outside our control, but this is different.
WE It is this problem of the unknown that creates fear and anxiety in our lives.
Fear can entrap us and paralyze us emotionally.
Proverbs 29:25 (NKJV) The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD shall be safe.
Listen to how Eugene Petersen translates it in The Message:
Proverbs 29:25 (MSG) The fear of human opinion disables; trusting in GOD protects you from that.
GOD How we operate in this season depends on who you listen to! If you listen to what men say you will be paralyzed with fear. If you listen to what God says you can operate safely in His care.
Now, we have to listen to instructions from men and obey them, but God’s Word and His promises are greater than the hysteria that fills the airwaves.
For example: we hear that millions will be impacted and thousands will die. Is this true? We don’t know. If we ponder on what no one knows, then fear will grip us. On the other hand, the Bible tells us:
Philippians 4:8–9 (NKJV) Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
How do we put it into practice?
Philippians 4:6–7 (NKJV) Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
The enemy wants us to walk in fear: fear of man, fear of the future, fear of the unknown. Fear is trusting in the words of men. God wants us to walk in faith. Faith is trusting in the Words of God!
2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV) For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
2 Corinthians 5:7 (NKJV) For we walk by faith, not by sight.
YOU Now you may say, “Pastor Gary, I don’t have any faith!” But this is not true. God has given everyone of us a gift of faith.
Romans 12:3 (NKJV) For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.
What is this measure of faith? It is the faith of Jesus!
Galatians 2:20 (KJV) I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
So when fear attacks you, remember you have the very faith of Jesus inside of you. You can trust God the same way that Jesus trusts the Father.
Listen to His words:
Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10 (NKJV)
Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the LORD your God… Isaiah 43:1–3 (NKJV)
WE What are some things we can do to build our faith during these times?
First: Go back over the points of Philippians 4: think about things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, good report…
1.    Spend more time in truth than is opinion.
2.    Talk to your family about heroes who did noble things in tough times.
3.    Get involved in projects that promote justice.
4.    Talk to your family about pure things: pure love, pure thoughts, pure motives…
5.    Look at the good things we still have.
6.    Practice giving a good report. Don’t say ugly things about other people.
Second: Find faith for your fears…
1.             Identify your fear.
2.             Find truth to counter the fear.
3.             Memorize to build faith.
Example: Fear of not having everything we need; Faith: And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 (NKJV)
Third: Enjoy your time. Redeem the time.
PRAYER

No comments:

Post a Comment