Saturday, December 5, 2020

IF WE EVER NEEDED PEACE

 IF WE EVER NEEDED PEACE, IT’S NOW

A group of friends is gathered around a holiday table enjoying each other’s company and discussing plans for the future. The host of the dinner party reminds them that he will be leaving soon. The whole mood in the room changes. Uncertainty and fear move in a like a dark cloud. The host hopes to reassure his friends. He says, “Let not your heart be troubled.” John 14:1 (NKJV)

Of course, I am referring to Jesus’s words to His disciples in the upper room before His betrayal and crucifixion. Just a few minutes later He would tell them, “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27 (NKJV)

Years before, a group of shepherds outside of Bethlehem were audience to a heavenly choir proclaiming, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men!” Luke 2:14 (NKJV)

So, on this second Sunday of Advent, we celebrate “peace,” peace on earth, peace toward men, and peace for us. If we ever needed peace, it’s today. We have fears within and fears without, an uncertain future and a tumultuous present. We see a nation divided, political turmoil, racial unrest, economic insecurity, and a relentless plague.  

Right in the middle of it all, Jesus shows up, proclaiming peace. Taking His rightful place as Isaiah’s “Prince of Peace,” He is not content to just speak peace, He makes peace in threatening situations. 

Surely the disciples remembered this event. 

Mark 4:35–41 (NKJV): On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.” 36 Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. 38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”

39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. 40 But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” 41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”

Let’s look at some principles in this story that can help us. I don’t know what your storm is, but three things I know from this story. 

1. Jesus is with you in your storm.

2. Jesus is resting in your storm. 

3. Jesus will calm your storm.

After Jesus was crucified, the disciples were in a different kind of storm. In hiding for fear of being arrested as accomplices or terrorists, they contemplated their future. Jesus appears in the middle of their trouble. 

John 20:19–22 (NKJV): Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.

21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.

Later, Jesus appears to them again. This time, Thomas is there. He is full of doubt and unbelief. Jesus shows up anyway!

John 20:26 (NKJV): And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!”

Even when we have doubts, Jesus comes and brings His peace. You may be full of doubts today, but Jesus Himself will come and give you His peace. 


The sea of life is raging

The storm clouds round me roll

I’m tossed about in turmoil

It’s growing very cold


By myself I’d never make it

But this one thing I know

When I speak the name of Jesus

The storm clouds have to go.


When I say ‘Master’

My sorrows disappear

When I say ‘Father’

He drives away my fears

When I say ‘Savior’

My blinded eyes can see

When I say ‘Jesus’

He speaks peace to me.


(“When I Say Jesus” by Phil Johnson)


INVITATION/MINISTRY TIME


No comments:

Post a Comment