Sunday, July 14, 2019

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT Part 1 FAITH


YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT Part 1
“Rhythm of Life” Series

CONNECT I was visiting with a friend the other day and we got to talking about food. Is anyone surprised? He asked me, “What is the most expensive meal you ever ate”? I have been privileged to eat at some fancy places, from Murray’s in St. Paul Minnesota to The Broadmore in Colorado Springs, Colorado to the Riu Resort in Cabo San Lucas.

One meal I particularly remember was at the Three Forks Steak House in Dallas. It was at least six courses: appetizer, soup, salad, steak and lobster, dessert, and coffee. The total bill for our party of 16 was close to $1,000! I’m so glad I didn’t have to pick up the check!

TENSION Many people today are frustrated with their Christian life, or rather, their ability to live the Christian life.

SOLUTION Today I want to talk about the main reason for spiritual frustration and some things that can remedy the situation.

INSTRUCTION This summer we have been talking about finding a spiritual rhythm in life.  Last week we talked about feeding our spirit man. Whatever we feed will dominate us. If we want to grow our spirit we must feed our spirit! The truth is that “you are what you eat”!

Peter lays out a pretty good spiritual feast to grow our inner man!

TEXT 2 Peter 1:2-4 (NKJV) Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

APPLICATION 2 Peter 1:5-7 (NKJV) But also for this very reason, giving all diligence (daily and consistently), add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.

Let’s look closer at each course in Peter’s eight course feast! This is not a buffet where you eat what you want and leave the rest; this is an elegant dinner party where each course is built on what came before.

Faith. This is the beginning point. Until you put your faith in Jesus, you cannot understand what God is up to.

1 Corinthians 2:14 (NKJV) But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Until you are born again, your spirit is dead and cannot be fed. Some never grow because they have never been birthed.

John 3:3 (NKJV) Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

So, the primary question that must be asked and answered is: Have you been born again? Have you ever put your faith and trust in Jesus?

Hebrews 11:6 (NKJV) But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

So, I seek to begin every counseling and discipleship opportunity with this query: Are you born again? Are you really saved? Tell me about it. I do this because I know there will be no lasting victory if a person is not saved.

Matthew 12:43-45 (NKJV) When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. Then he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.

I have seen so many people who are frustrated with the Christian life and their inability to live it out. The only person that has ever lived the Christian life is Jesus! Unless He lives through us, the Christian life is impossible!

Galatians 2:20 (NKJV) I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment