Saturday, May 5, 2018

LETTING IT GO


LETTING IT GO
Dealing with Anxiety
RF, May 6, 2018

ME How do I struggle with this?

We are in the middle of our series “Big Questions”. It seems as if every one of these is something I struggle with. Today I want to talk about anxiety.

I have always been a worrier. I come by it honestly. My dad was a worrier. When we weren’t worried, we worried about why we weren’t worried! I kept looking over my shoulder looking for the next hammer to fall. This is not any way to live!

YOU How do we all struggle with this?

Over the last several weeks, several people have contacted me with a similar question: “How do I get rid of this anxiety in my life?”

Everyone deals with anxiety in their lives at one time or another; whether it is worry, or fear, or being anxious about something.

God has a way for us to carry that load.

GOD What does the Bible say about this?

1 Peter 5:7 (NIV) Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Cast: hurl or throw on top of something. The only other use of the word in the NT is when Jesus made His entry into Jerusalem in Palm Sunday.

Luke 19:35 (NKJV) Then they brought him to Jesus. And they threw their own clothes on the colt, and they set Jesus on him.

Cares: the word here means to draw in different directions, distract, signifies that which causes a care, especially an anxious care. Same word used in all the Gospels in the “Parable of the Sower”.

Mark 4:19 (NLT) but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life…

This is anything that causes you anxiety: finances, sickness, circumstances, the future. And it doesn’t matter the cause. I had made some big mistakes in my life. How about you? Sometimes I feel that if I caused it, I have to carry it. Kind of like, “Do the crime; serve the time”. This verse says we can cast all our anxieties on Him, not just the ones we didn’t cause. What a great word!

He Cares: to care about, be concerned for.

Jesus is concerned about you.

Hebrews 7:25 (NIV) Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Hebrews 7:25b (AMPC) …since He is always living to make petition to God and intercede with Him and intervene for them.

Now let’s read our text in the Amplified translation; this applies all the word meanings…

1 Peter 5:7 (AMPC) Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully.

This was also stated in the Old Testament.

Psalm 55:22 (NIV) Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.

YOU What should you do about this?

1.  We throw everything on Jesus.

Just like the disciples threw their clothes on the donkey and Jesus sat on them, throw everything that is causing you anxiety and let Jesus just sit on it!

There are some other ways the Bible says we can deal with our anxiety.

Psalms 37:5 (NLT) Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you.
Proverbs 16:3 (NKJV) Commit your works to the LORD, and your thoughts will be established.

“Commit” in these passages has a unique meaning.

Proverbs 16:3 (AMPC) Roll your works upon the Lord…

Illustration: man carrying huge load then rolling it over onto Jesus… we roll everything from our shoulders to His shoulders...

Isaiah 9:6a (NKJV) For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder…

Illustration: Jesus has broad shoulders…

2.  We roll everything onto Jesus.

Let's look at a third way to deal with our anxiety...

Matthew 11:28–30 (NKJV) Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

Matthew 11:28–30 (MSG) Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.

3.  We yoke up with Jesus and let Him pull the load.

Trusting Jesus doesn’t mean ’do nothing’! We participate with him; we coordinate with Him; we submit to Him.

Illustration: sled team
Illustration: show calf
Illustration: Mule and tractor

WE How can we all live this out together?

We can all help carry the load.

Galatians 6:2 (NIV) Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Illustration: As the body of Jesus, we help carry the load. Men come and help a guy carry some concrete blocks.

ONE FINAL WORD…

1 Corinthians 10:13 (NKJV) No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

INVITATION

God will make a way where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see; He will make a way for me
He will be my guide; hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day, He will make a way
God will make a way


No comments:

Post a Comment