Sunday, January 21, 2018

THE CHURCH AT SMYRNA

Seven Keys
Living Life in Uncertain Times
RF, January 21, 2017
The Persecuted Church: Smyrna
The Key of Faithfulness

VIDEO INTEO

CONNECT I want you to imagine that as soon as I started speaking, armed gunmen in fatigues and draped head coverings entered the back of the auditorium and took control. They shoot me on sight and proceed to kidnap our leaders, executing them in the courtyard or leading them into waiting vehicles for imprisonment and torture. Everyone else faces a choice: curse God or die!

TENSION This scenario is playing out around the world and has even occurred in our hemisphere and on our continent. I believe it is only a matter of time before this event is repeated in our country, our state, our city, and even this church.

Revelations declares that persecution, imprisonment, and death await the church before Jesus comes again. How do we prepare for what is to come?

SOLUTION The problem is fear. If we can overcome fear, then we can beat the enemy at his own game!

INSTRUCTION

Revelation 2:8 (NKJV) And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write, ‘These things says the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life:

Jesus is speaking to the church and to the leaders of the church…

Revelation 2:9 (NKJV) I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.

One of two churches which received no rebuke… Our works speak a testimony…

James 2:18 (NKJV) But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

Tribulation… affliction, trouble, pressure, suffering, distress…

John 16:33 NKJV “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

John 16:1–3 (NKJV) “These things I have spoken to you, that you should not be made to stumble. 2They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service. 3And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me.

2 Timothy 3:12 (NKJV) Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
Poverty… When the enemy comes in and takes over, our very ability to make money and spend money will be affected. Only those who take the ‘mark of the beast’ will be allowed to buy and sell!

Revelation 2:10-11 (NKJV) Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life. 11“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”’

Do not fear… Used over 60 times in various forms throughout all the Bible. Why? People were afraid! Fear is faith in the threats of the devil! There are at least five great fears we all experience.

1. Fear of man

Proverbs 29:25 (NKJV) The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the LORD shall be safe.

2. Fear of death

Hebrews 2:15 (NKJV) and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

3. Fear of failure

Joshua 1:9 (NKJV) Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

4. Fear of the future

Isaiah 43:1–2 (NKJV) But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. 2When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you.

5. Fear of loss

Job 3:25 (NKJV) For the thing I greatly feared has come upon me, and what I dreaded has happened to me.

APPLICATION How do we overcome fear?

1. Take each thought captive to the Word of God!

Psalm 23:4 (NKJV) Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Psalms 27:1 (NKJV) The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Matthew 10:28 (NKJV) And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Romans 8:15 (NKJV) For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”

2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV) For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

2. Settle the issue that God is enough.

Philippians 3:7–8 (NKJV) But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ

If I lose everything, God is enough!  Story: Planning the funeral...

3. Be faithful unto death!

Three Hebrew Children: We will not bow!

THE PRIZE: "The Crown of Life"... eternal life...

INSPIRATION "The Armenian Genocide at Smyrna"


HASHTAG #donotfear

No comments:

Post a Comment